Saturday, August 18th – Flying instead of driving… Oh brother! What did I get myself into?!

Saturday, August 18th

I am going out a week early to do some scouting for the guests to help with suggestions for fly fishing locations when they go off on their wade trips between the scheduled float trips with Grizzly Hackle fly shop.  The guests will arrive on Sunday, August 26th and stay the week departing on Saturday, September 1st. Instead of driving out the last two years I will be flying out and shipping my gear to the fly shop ahead of time. When driving my van out west I know that all of my gear, clothing and gadgets are with me without having to sacrifice shipping only some of it. (I also know that I can camp in my van if necessary without sleeping on the ground or if I don’t feel like driving all the way back into town for a hotel room late in the evening).

For those of you who have seen the movie “Midnight Run” with Robert Deniro and Charles Grodin here is one of my favorite scenes from the movie:

I really have no fear of flying in an airplane (I am not nuts about the idea of crashing) but I really don’t care for the before, during and after frustrations and challenges that we all have to deal with when we fly.


Barbee dropped me off at 1:00pm at the Asheville airport after we dropped Natalie off at 5:30am that morning to catch her flight to Paris via New York (she didn’t go directly to Paris as her visa situation had yet to be resolved but that is a horrible story I won’t get into here).

I flew out of Asheville on a puddle jumper plane at 2:00pm to Atlanta to connect with my Delta flight to Missoula. The plane was almost on time but the small overhead compartments forced most of the passengers to drop their carry on bags at the bridge for the baggage handler to stow underneath the plane. Well, the baggage handler didn’t seem to care that it was pouring rain and allowed all of the bags to get wet. When we got to Atlanta to grab our bags out of the carrier everyone was complaining how wet their bags were. Most of my stuff was OK but some documents I had printed got wet (they were packed inside my bag), some clothes got wet and my laptop bag got wet as well although the computer was spared!

I got to Atlanta at 3pm with a supposed three hour layover. HA! After a six and a half  hour layover my flight from Atlanta to Missoula actually did finally take off at 9:30pm EST after five flight changes and six gate changes and I got to Missoula in four hours arriving at 2am Eastern time. I just barely got to the Enterprise car rental counter with five minutes to spare and got to my hotel at 3:00am EST. (1:00am Mountain time)

I do have to say that once I got on the big plane (Delta Boeing 727) the flight itself really was comfortable and the service was fantastic!  I watched the movie Bladerunner 2049  with complimentary headphones, ordered a charcuterie pack and they comped me two mini bottles of Cabernet! Maybe the flying part isn’t all that bad after all?

I stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn in Missoula which was a very nice hotel. I am hopeful that I will get a good nights sleep!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s